Part-time jobs to full-time careers
Empowering Nebraskans to achieve economic independence and thrive in work and life in partnership with employers.
Supporting employers in expanding and supporting their workforce
People are the most important part of any business, and businesses are the backbone of our communities. When people thrive in a job, we all succeed. Our goal is to support employers in expanding and supporting their workforce by:
- Understanding employers’ workforce needs (now and in the future)
- Preparing and connecting jobseekers with those needs
- Helping employers provide opportunities for employees to learn so they can continue to thrive and be agile in their jobs in an ever-shifting landscape
Empowering the jobseeker
We help Nebraskans find jobs where they can thrive—stable, good-paying jobs with opportunities for advancement that empower them to realize their unique strengths and potential. We commit to being proactive, respectful, and innovative. We strive to make meaningful connections. We will:
- Create opportunity guides based on labor market information and future trend analysis
- Prepare jobseekers for the labor market by providing professional resume assistance, soft skills coaching, and mentoring
- Empower the jobseeker to uncover and realize their unique strengths and potential. We create the opportunity; unlocking that opportunity is on the jobseeker
- Communicate clearly (including menu of services & website redesign) and manage expectations
We pursue excellence by leading with vision and developing evidence-based strategies. We:
- Engage in continuous improvement review for customer experience in partnership with Wichita State University and University of Nebraska – Lincoln
- Develop an opportunity guide to assist jobseekers and talent development specialists in identifying emerging jobs, in-demand jobs, and career ladders
- Identify WIOA activities that are creating positive performance outcomes, and improve delivery of those that are not
We help people earn and make money by helping them find employment. The guidance for managing that money is just as important for many of our customers and is often overlooked. We are committed to the complete wellbeing of our customers. We want them to thrive. We will strengthen our commitment to incorporating financial education into our service strategy. This will include creating a budget, managing debt, opening a bank account, and planning for the future.
Active, intentional, and ongoing engagement
Amidst an international pandemic, economic crisis, and social unrest, there are individuals that desperately need a job. We have a vital role to play. We cannot passively wait for these jobseekers to walk into our center. We must be active and intentional in reaching out to dislocated workers, low-income individuals, and diverse jobseekers. We can help jobseekers forge a path forward. We must get into the community and build stronger partnerships. We must meet people where they are. Our services are only impactful if individuals know they exist. Ongoing engagement is critical to ensuring we understand the evolving and emerging needs of jobseekers.
Embracing the digital age
We must improve our service strategy so that customers can access most services virtually. This will require redeveloping our website to be more intuitive; adding a chat function, scheduling assistant, and eligibility matrix; creating online resources; making our digital content accessible for visually impaired users and English language learners; making all assessments available online; using Zoom meetings; and creating direct linkages with our partners.
Public observation & accountability
Our work must stand proudly in the light of public observation and accountability. We are stewards of the American Job Center and the Title 1 Programs. It is our duty to maximize funding so we can empower jobseekers and support businesses. This includes:
- Adhering to a board-led monitoring schedule
- Establishing PY20 budget and enrollment goals that are reconciled each month
- Collecting workforce system performance outcomes quarterly
- Calculating cost per customer and percent of funding used for direct aid monthly
The American Job Center
We offer a comprehensive array of services designed to match people with job and career opportunities. Our current center needs an overhaul. We want to create a vibrant gathering space, where jobseekers can explore careers, prepare for their next job, get job training if needed, and connect with career opportunities. This requires a stronger partnership with employers. We must invite and welcome employers to use our space. This means creating spaces for interviews and hiring events. We also want to create an inclusive and accessible place with opportunities for all. This means:
- Including assistive technology in the resource room, braille signage, accessible doors and parking
- Incorporating inclusive restroom design
- Providing a menu of services in English and Spanish, resources in languages that reflect our community, and hiring staff who can communicate in languages other than English
- Inviting companion programs to co-locate with us so we can leverage and coordinate resources to create better outcomes
Our work proudly stands in the light of public observation and accountability.
We serve with compassion toward ourselves and others, recognizing that we are interconnected.
Triathlete of the Mind – Vision, Data Analysis, Viability
We pursue excellence, leading with vision and developing evidence-based strategies.
Start the Conversation
We proactively communicate with others, especially when it is hard. We value diverse perspectives and seek to be inclusive.
Free the Fun
We bring enthusiasm and optimism to our work every day. Our workplace and community should involve plenty of joyful delight.
We celebrate progress, with an eye on the next opportunity. We appreciate the value of emergence.