Empowering Military and Veterans: Translating Your Skills and Experience for Success in the Workplace
At the American Job Center, we honor and support the brave people who have served in the military. Whether you’re transitioning to civilian life or looking for new career opportunities, we are here to help you every step of the way.
Services for Military and Veterans
Priority of service is given to Veterans and eligible spouses, ensuring they receive earlier or preferential access to programs and services over non-eligible individuals at the American Job Center.
Our experienced career planners understand the unique challenges faced by military personnel and veterans. We provide personalized guidance to help you explore career options, identify transferable skills, and develop strategies for a successful transition.
Job Search Assistance
We offer a comprehensive job search assistance program that includes resume writing, interview preparation, and networking strategies. Our team is dedicated to connecting you with employers who value your military experience and can offer rewarding employment opportunities.
If you’re looking to enhance your skills or gain new ones, we provide access to a variety of training programs and certifications. These programs are designed to align with the demands of today’s job market, ensuring that you have the competitive edge in your chosen field.
If you have an entrepreneurial spirit and dream of starting your own business, our center offers resources and assistance to help you navigate the process. From business planning to financing options, we are here to guide you towards success as a veteran entrepreneur.
We host networking events and job fairs specifically tailored to military personnel and veterans. These events provide a platform for you to connect with employers who value your military experience and are actively seeking to hire veterans.
We understand the importance of camaraderie and support among military personnel and veterans. Our center offers opportunities to connect with fellow veterans and share experiences, resources, and advice to navigate the civilian job market successfully.
Mental Health Support
We recognize the unique challenges that veterans may face in their transition to civilian life. Our center can connect you with mental health resources and support services tailored to the specific needs of veterans.
We assist veterans in exploring opportunities within the federal government through programs such as the Veterans’ Preference hiring process. These initiatives prioritize veterans in federal job applications and hiring decisions.
Integrated Service Delivery
The Adult Program and/or Dislocated Worker Program are the main providers of services. To further enhance our services, we collaborate with partner organizations that specialize in empowering veterans in the workplace. Some of our partners include:
- Disability Employment Assistance: Through Nebraska VR, we assist individuals with disabilities in preparing for, obtaining, and maintaining employment.
- Employment Support: Reemployment Services by the Nebraska Department of Labor assist individuals with resume development, cover letters, job referrals, mock interviews, and job search assistance. Workshops are also available to enhance job search skills.
- High-Demand Vocational Training: Southeast Community College offers training programs for high-wage, high-demand, high-skill occupations, with options for associate degrees, certificates, and entrepreneurship training.
- Medicaid Insurance for Workers with Disabilities: This program allows employed individuals with disabilities to qualify for and receive medical coverage, even if their income would typically make them ineligible for Medicaid.
- Social Security Disabilities Insurance Recipients : The Ticket to Work Program, offers voluntary support to individuals receiving disability benefits, empowering them to successfully transition back into the workforce or embark on a new career path.
- Support for the Visually Impaired: We work closely with the Nebraska Commission for the Blind and Visually Impaired to provide rehabilitation services for individuals who are blind or visually impaired.
- Veterans’ Support: Veterans’ Employment Services provide a range of services including career assessment, counseling, job placement assistance, training information, and various support services tailored to veterans.
Beginning your journey towards a new career is easy. Follow these steps:
Step 1: Set up or update your NEworks job seeker account at neworks.nebraska.gov.
Step 2: Schedule an appointment with a resource room navigator or visit the center directly without an appointment.
Step 3: Work with a navigator to develop a personalized plan and embark on your journey towards a new career.
Join the American Job Center today and let us be your partner in navigating the transition from military to civilian life or advancing your career as a veteran. We are dedicated to supporting you in embracing new opportunities.