Supporting Individuals with a Criminal Conviction: Reentry and Advancement in the Workforce
At the American Job Center, we are committed to helping individuals with a criminal conviction overcome barriers and successfully reintegrate into the workforce. We provide a range of services and support to empower you on your journey towards employment and career advancement. Discover the comprehensive services we offer to assist you in achieving a fresh start and building a successful future.
Services for Individuals with a Criminal Conviction
The American Job Center offers specialized services tailored to support individuals formally involved with the justice system. Our services include:
Identifying Employer Opportunities
Our career planners specialize in connecting individuals with a criminal conviction to employers who are open to hiring individuals with a background in the justice system. We understand the unique challenges you may face and work diligently to connect you with supportive employers.
Navigating Background Discussions
Our career planners are here to help you navigate conversations about your criminal conviction during the job application process. We provide guidance and assistance in formulating a plan to discuss your background with potential employers effectively.
Access to Basic Resources
Our resource room navigators can help you identify and access essential community resources to meet your basic needs before embarking on your job search. From food support to legal assistance, medical care, and housing or rental aid, our team provides the necessary support for your successful reentry.
We understand that reliable transportation is crucial for attending interviews and maintaining employment. Our career planners can help you develop a transportation plan, ensuring you can arrive promptly at work. We also assist in communicating transportation arrangements with your prospective employer.
Establishing a Positive Work History
Our try-out employment opportunities are designed to help individuals with a criminal conviction establish a positive work history and reintegrate into the workforce successfully. These opportunities provide valuable experience and open doors to future employment prospects.
Utilize our resource room equipped with computers to search for job opportunities, create and print resumes, and access online resources for your job search and professional development.
Interview Attire Support
Our team can assist you in obtaining appropriate attire for interviews and work. We offer clothing vouchers for Goodwill and may provide clothing as a supportive service to help you present yourself professionally.
Integrated Service Delivery
The Adult Program and/or Youth Employment Support Services are the main providers of services. To enhance our services, we collaborate with partners specializing in assisting individuals with reentry into the workforce. Our partners include:
- Disability Employment Assistance: Through Nebraska VR, we assist individuals with disabilities in preparing for, obtaining, and maintaining employment.
- Education and Language Programs: Southeast Community College/Adult Education offers programs for English Language Learners (ELL), GED preparation, citizenship preparation, and high-wage, high-demand vocational training.
- Employment Support: Reemployment Services by the Nebraska Department of Labor assist individuals with resume development, cover letters, job referrals, mock interviews, and job search assistance. Workshops are also available to enhance job search skills.
- Financial Coaching Program: Community Action Partnership of Lancaster and Saunders Counties offers a six-month financial coaching program that focuses on improving individuals’ financial well-being. Through personalized one-on-one or group sessions, participants can enhance their financial knowledge, create effective plans, and apply their newfound knowledge successfully.
- High-Demand Vocational Training: Southeast Community College offers training programs for high-wage, high-demand, high-skill occupations, with options for associate degrees, certificates, and entrepreneurship training.
- Literacy and Education Support: Lincoln Literacy provides various programs and services dedicated to enhancing literacy skills, English language proficiency, and overall educational attainment.
- Medicaid Insurance for Workers with Disabilities: This program allows employed individuals with disabilities to qualify for and receive medical coverage, even if their income would typically make them ineligible for Medicaid.
- Social Security Disabilities Insurance Recipients : The Ticket to Work Program, offers voluntary support to individuals receiving disability benefits, empowering them to successfully transition back into the workforce or embark on a new career path.
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance: The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) provides financial assistance to eligible individuals and families, helping them access nutritious meals.
- Support for the Visually Impaired: We work closely with the Nebraska Commission for the Blind and Visually Impaired to provide rehabilitation services for individuals who are blind or visually impaired.
A career planner will advocate on your behalf in helping potential employers understand tax benefits that may be available if they hire you. Here are some of the credits:
Beginning your journey towards a new career is easy. Follow these steps:
Step 1: Set up or update your NEworks job seeker account at neworks.nebraska.gov.
Step 2: Schedule an appointment with a resource room navigator or visit the center directly without an appointment.
Step 3: Work with a navigator to develop a personalized plan and embark on your journey towards a new career.
At the American Job Center, we are dedicated to supporting individuals with a criminal conviction in their pursuit of meaningful employment and a fresh start. Join us today and let us assist you in unlocking your full potential in the workforce.